Legacies: I Won't Mind Landon Getting Killed, Give Us Penelope Park & The Twins!

Let's talk Legacies, the spin-off of "The Vampire Diaries" and "The Originals". It was out of boredom and less of a curiosity that I started to notice this tv series. I've never really had the interests of following The Vampire Diaries and I don't even know about The Originals. I started watching Legacies when I ran out of the latest episodes of Supergirl and The Flash to binge from. I found out that there were already 8 episodes that were already aired. "Oh great," I said that to myself.



Let's start from the beginning.

The short narration of the main character, Hope, in the first episode was able to give me tidbits of her past life. Apparently, Hope is already equipped in using her powers, which I think is not typical for most of the lead characters. You know Kara (Supergirl), Barry (The Flash), and even Harry Potter didn't really know how to use their powers and abilities at first. Yes, hardcore TVD and TO fans, I heard you. If I want to know more about the backstory of Hope, I should watch The Originals. Nah, not for now. I'll stick with Legacies.

Harry Potter References


As expected, episode one was more of an introduction to the characters including the supporting ones. I didn't even know that there were witches in the TVD world. See? I wasn't really following TVD. I really thought they're just about vampires (Twilight-ish kinda thing, dah). Being a huge Harry Potter fan, it quickly piques my interests. The setting is much aliketo Harry Potter. It's focused on special students in an exclusive school for teenagers like them. They also keep their supernatural powers from an ordinary human, as the HP world would say, muggles.

Apart from the setting and the witches, the writers obviously have lots of reference to HP. The Goblet of Fire (ish) set up during the honor council election (episode 5) and then there's the thing they call "Wickery," which is actually the quidditch game in HP world.


The Monsters


I expect the whole season 1 to revolve around the monsters and solving the mysterious involving Malivore. Nick Fink's character is something that I've been looking forward to being unraveled. This one monster per episode thing is so stretched out already. I have a big hunch that Landon is half monster and have the potential of becoming "the real bad". If that happens - it'll shake up Hope's character.

On a side note though: why the heck is that those talking monsters have a British accent? It's not annoying, I just find it cute. LOL.


Relationships


It's obvious from the beginning that Hope is set to be romantically involved with Landon. However, I was confused about why Rafael became suddenly interested in her, which was presented in episode 9. It felt like it was forced that way or perhaps I didn't pay that much attention when it comes to that romantic pairing? I did assume there would be a Lizzie-Raf-Josie triangle. I am not sure if the writers are testing which among the pairings will be popular among the fans. In the end, the writers (especially the showrunner) have the power of how the story develops.


The Merge


Legacies is surely centered on Hope, no doubt about that. However, I hope to see more backstory on the twins too. They're already starting to develop Lizzie's character in episode 10 and I've heard it's Josie's time to shine in episode 11. Lizzie has been presented as someone who has a huge potential to go dark. In episode 10's alternate universe, Lizzie did kill Josie after learning about the Merge. Her character is very complex yet I find her one-liner humor very funny. Zip it Smurfette. Kudos to the writers! I find her annoying at first but I started to pity her as soon as the season develops.  I find this character interesting and less boring than Josie. It was such a cliche to have that strong-weak twin/pairing.



Now, let's talk about Josie. I've noticed subtle hints on Josie's development, i.e., stepping out of Lizzie's shadows. She joins Hope instead of Lizzie in their community service after Lizzie sold her out to their father. Also, that conversation with Penelope Park made Josie realized something about being codependent with Lizzie and to finally do the thing she loves. If provoked, Josie can be a bitch as she can be. It would be a plot twist if Josie went dark and kill Lizzie in the process. I think Penelope holds the key in helping Josie out of Lizzie's shadows.

Penelope Park


Speaking of Penelope Park, I really find her character interesting. You know, the love-hate kinda thing you see in a character. I love the angst and that bitchy vibe she gives. Lulu Antariksa portrayed her very well. I do feel like she's up to something. It's obvious that she'll do anything just to get what she wants, even if it includes hurting Josie in the process. Didn't you realize why'd she knew about Caroline not coming to the twin's birthday or the time when Ric went out with Hope to get the knife back from Landon? She's also a good manipulator - she takes advantage of MG to make Josie jealous. Though on the flip side, she convinces other witches to support Josie and let her win the honor council. She was also able to convince Lizzie and the rest of the team to the football game without using their powers. Whatever it is, I just hope the writers would give more screentime and development for Penelope.



Obviously, she's a key character for Josie's development, not just from a romantic perspective. Hey, can we see more Penelope than just "Josie's evil ex"? I want her out of that bubble! I support "Give Lulu a regular contract" campaign. For sure, Penelope has the potential to be in that "villain you love" barrel. Did I say, villain? Well, it'll be interesting to see Penelope going in the opposite direction.


Landon K.


If I were the writer in Legacies, it wouldn't be that hard for me to kill this character at the end of the season. I just find that this character underdeveloped for a series regular. For the past 10 episodes, I didn't see major development for Landon. As I mentioned on the top of this post, I wouldn't mind the writers making Landon the big bad in season 1.


Hope M.


I don't have a problem with Hope. Though I hope they'll give her scenes that show her vulnerability. I mean she's not all that strong, isn't she? Oh yeah, she's a tribrid! No seriously though, give her scenes where we can see her weep to death! Kill Landon! *evil smirk*



On a side note though, I would love to see more Lizzie and Hope interaction. Might as well, add Penelope in the mix too! HAHA!


The season's almost over! Please give us more action-based and some awesome plot twist! Please don't kill Pedro!

P.S. I want to see more witch powers. Enough with the vampires and werewolves eh? 

Comments